What’s going on in the world of sports business? Find out with the fresh STATSCORE’s Review!
- South Africa’s sports shut down due to new COVID variant
- Florida’s betting deal with the Seminole Tribe overturned
- Premier League signs new partnership with Castrol
- 2022 World Cup play-off draw: it’s either Portugal or Italy!
- Disturbing levels of abuse of athletes on social media during Tokyo Games
South Africa’s sports shut down due to new COVID variant
After the discovery of a new strain of the virus, B.1.1.529, two rounds of matches in the United Rugby Championship were postponed, and many other sports events were cancelled.
The WHO on Friday labelled a new heavily mutated strain of COVID-19, which was detected in South Africa, a variant of concern. The discovery triggered a global rush to suspend travel from southern Africa. It has also impacted the world of sports, as numerous events have already been suspended. Golfers from the United Kingdom withdrew from the Joburg Open, Rugby matches have been called off, and a cricket tour was cancelled. Read more
Florida’s betting deal with the Seminole Tribe overturned
The future of betting in Florida is unclear after U.S. District Judge Dabney Friedrich ruled the state’s 2021 Gaming Compact with the Seminole Tribe is invalid.
The judge ruled that the sports betting plan violated the state constitution and federal Indian gambling law. The Seminole Tribe has filed a notice of appeal, court records show. Read more
Premier League signs new partnership with Castrol
Castrol will sponsor the Premier League Golden Awards programme as well as launching new awards.
From January 2022, the British oil company will help to reach fans in China, the ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) countries, the Middle East and Europe
Mandhir Singh, CEO of Castrol, said: “With our history of football sponsorship, we’re delighted to be partnering with the Premier League. This partnership gives us a great opportunity to showcase and market Castrol’s full range of existing and innovative new products and services to consumers and business customers. We’re looking forward to revealing some exciting new initiatives for passionate football fans across the world.” Read more
2022 World Cup play-off draw: it’s either Portugal or Italy!
Twelve European teams will be competing for three tickets to Qatar. Italy and Portugal have been drawn on the same path, which means that one of these teams won’t play in the World Cup.
Scotland – Ukraine
Wales – Austria
Russia – Poland
Sweden – Czech Republic
Italy – North Macedonia
Portugal – Turkey
The winners of the ties will go into a final. The winners of Paths A, B and C will reach Qatar 2022.
The intercontinental play-offs have also been drawn:
AFC Team – CONMEBOL Team
CONCACAF Team – OFC Team
Disturbing levels of abuse of athletes on social media during Tokyo Games
A study by World Athletics has revealed disturbing levels of abuse towards athletes, including sexist, racist, transphobic, and homophobic posts.
65% of abusive posts were deemed gravely abusive and warranted intervention from social media platforms.
The study said: “It also unequivocally highlights the greater levels of abuse female athletes receive in comparison to their male counterparts.” Female athletes were the target of 87% of all abuse. Read more
Sign up for our weekly BETTING INDUSTRY REVIEW to stay updated with the latest trends and key developments in the world of sports data and betting. You can do it by filling the form below.
PROCESSING OF THE DATA
Pursuant to Article 13.1–13.2 of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (“GDPR”), we would like to inform you as follows:
1) STATSCORE Sp. z o.o. with its registered office in Warsaw 02-972 at ul. A. Branickiego 11/32 is the controller of your personal data.
2) Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of the product trial process – in accordance with Article 6.1(a)–(b) of the GDPR.
3) Furnishing the personal data requested by STATSCORE about yourself is voluntary.
4) Your personal data will be retained for the duration of the Product development term but for no less than the retention period required under the law.
5) Your personal data will not be subject to automated decision-making or profiling.
6) You have the right to access the personal data held about you and to have your data rectified or erased or to restrict or to object to the processing as well as the right to data portability. If your personal data is processed under Article 6.1(a) of the GDPR (i.e. processed on the basis of the consent you have given to the processing), you may withdraw your consent at any time without any impact on the lawfulness of the processing carried out before your consent was withdrawn.
7) You may lodge a complaint in respect of the processing of the above data to the President of the Office for Personal Data Protection (PUODO).