Bookmakers are doing well despite inflation, FIFA approves 26-man squads for World Cup, and Naomi Osaka launches a new media company with LeBron James. Here’s STATSCORE’s new Review!
- Sports betting companies doing well despite inflation
- FIFA approves 26-man squads for the World Cup
- Naomi Osaka and LeBron James launch a new media company
- Fanatics in talks to acquire betting company Tipico
- 2022 NBA draft. Who are the winners and losers?
Sports betting companies doing well despite inflation
It seems that pricing pressures, such as rising gas prices and inflation, are not having a significant impact on the betting industry.
Despite the current fall in mobile sports wagering handles in the United States, the sports betting industry could be an attractive play through the rocky economic environment, according to Macquarie analyst Chad Beynon.
“The churn rates have been pretty low,” he has said on Yahoo Finance Live. “The engagement, the retention of the tech that we’re seeing out there has been pretty good, and there haven’t been any new companies to come in the space in the past couple of months. So we really like the stocks at these levels. I know everything was down about 20% in the last week, but everything is according to plan. That’s what we’re hearing from these companies.” Read more
FIFA approves 26-man squads for the World Cup
Teams competing at the first-ever winter World Cup will be allowed to take 26 players to the tournament.
Previously, the participating teams were allowed a squad of 23 players. FIFA’s decision is linked to the untypical timing of the tournament, and potential disruptions related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The deadline for all 32 countries taking part in the World Cup to submit their final squads is 20 October. Read more
Naomi Osaka and LeBron James launch a new media company
Japanese tennis player Naomi Osaka and four-time NBA champion LeBron James are launching a new media company called Hana Kuma, which translates to “flower bear” in Japanese.
The new company will produce documentaries and TV series, which would be “culturally specific but universal to all audiences”.
“There has been an explosion of creators of color finally being equipped with resources and a huge platform,” Osaka said in a press release. “In the streaming age, content has a more global perspective. You can see this in the popularity of television from Asia, Europe and Latin America that the unique can also be universal. My story is a testament to that as well.” Read more
Fanatics in talks to acquire betting company Tipico
Sports merchandising company is in talks to buy betting company Tipico, according to CNBC’s sources.
Michael Rubin, Fanatics’ executive chairman, announced he’s selling his minority stake in the Philadelphia 76ers and New Jersey Devils. This move would allow the company to enter the betting market. NBA’s rules prohibit team owners from operating such platforms. Read more
2022 NBA draft. Who are the winners and losers?
The Orlando Magic had the No. 1 pick and selected Paolo Banchero, making him the second No. 1 pick from Duke in the past four years (Zion Williamson went No. 1 in 2019).
Who had the best and worst night? This question will be answered in a few years, Anyway, basketball experts have already picked the biggest winners and losers from the NBA draft. Read more
Sign up for our weekly BETTING INDUSTRY REVIEW to stay updated with the latest trends and key developments in the world of sports data and betting. You can do it by filling out the form below.
PROCESSING OF THE DATA
Pursuant to Article 13.1–13.2 of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (“GDPR”), we would like to inform you as follows:
1) STATSCORE Sp. z o.o. with its registered office in Katowice 40-012 at ul. Dworcowa 2 is the controller of your personal data.
2) Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of the product trial process – in accordance with Article 6.1(a)–(b) of the GDPR.
3) Furnishing the personal data requested by STATSCORE about yourself is voluntary.
4) Your personal data will be retained for the duration of the Product development term but for no less than the retention period required under the law.
5) Your personal data will not be subject to automated decision-making or profiling.
6) You have the right to access the personal data held about you and to have your data rectified or erased or to restrict or to object to the processing as well as the right to data portability. If your personal data is processed under Article 6.1(a) of the GDPR (i.e. processed on the basis of the consent you have given to the processing), you may withdraw your consent at any time without any impact on the lawfulness of the processing carried out before your consent was withdrawn.
7) You may lodge a complaint in respect of the processing of the above data to the President of the Office for Personal Data Protection (PUODO).