What’s going on in the world of sports and betting? Let’s find out with STATSCORE‘s fresh review!
- UEFA slams FIFA’s plan for a biennial World Cup
- Sports betting brings $7.9M for Colorado water projects
- Capitals become first NHL team to sell advertising on jerseys
- Civil war in NBA? The league is struggling with anti-vaxxers
- Will South Africa replace Japan as host of FIFA Club World Cup
UEFA slams FIFA’s plan for a biennial World Cup
UEFA says FIFA’s plans for a biennial World Cup create four significant “dangers” for the future of the game.
The “dangers” specified by UEFA include a potential loss in prestige from making the World Cup more frequent, with the competition’s current schedule giving it “a mystique that generations of fans have grown up with”.
“The dilution of the value of the No. 1 world football event, whose quadrennial occurrence gives it a mystique that generations of fans have grown up with; the erosion of sporting opportunities for the weaker national teams by replacing regular matches with final tournaments; the risk to sustainability for players, forced to engage in summer high intensity competitions every year instead of longer recuperation breaks in alternate years”, European football’s governing body said in a statement. Read more
Sports betting brings $7.9M for Colorado water projects
The state of Colorado has earned five times more money from sports betting than it had been estimated.
The start of the new NFL season provided a financial bump, with about $44 million in bets during its first weekend, according to Daniel Hartman, director of Colorado’s Division of Gaming.
Money collected from sports betting is used by the state to finance the work meant to conserve water, protect natural habitats, and improve infrastructure. Read more
Capitals become first NHL team to sell advertising on jerseys
Washington Capitals announced a multi-year partnership with Caesars Entertainment that will place a Caesars Sportsbook logo on the team’s home and third jerseys starting from the 2022-23 season.
The Capitals are the first franchise in the four major U.S. sports leagues – NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL – to sell jersey sponsorship to a gambling venture. Read more
Civil war in NBA? The league is struggling with anti-vaxxers
Conspiracy theories spread in the locker rooms of the world’s top basketball league.
On August 7, the National Basketball Player’s Association had an online meeting with the league where COVID-19 protocols were discussed. The league wanted to agree to terms that 100% of NBA players would be required to get vaccinated, but the issue was a “Non-starter” players and an executive told Rolling Stone. Read more
Will South Africa replace Japan as host of FIFA Club World Cup
South Africa says it would be interested in hosting this December’s Fifa Club World Cup after Japan withdrew due to concerns over the spread of Covid-19.
South African Football Association president Danny Jordaan said he would meet with FIFA secretary general Fatma Samoura in Nigeria to discuss the country’s bid. Read more
Sign up for our weekly BETTING INDUSTRY REVIEW to stay updated with the latest trends and key developments in the world of sports data and betting. You can do it by filling the form below.
PROCESSING OF THE DATA
Pursuant to Article 13.1–13.2 of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (“GDPR”), we would like to inform you as follows:
1) STATSCORE Sp. z o.o. with its registered office in Warsaw 02-972 at ul. A. Branickiego 11/32 is the controller of your personal data.
2) Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of the product trial process – in accordance with Article 6.1(a)–(b) of the GDPR.
3) Furnishing the personal data requested by STATSCORE about yourself is voluntary.
4) Your personal data will be retained for the duration of the Product development term but for no less than the retention period required under the law.
5) Your personal data will not be subject to automated decision-making or profiling.
6) You have the right to access the personal data held about you and to have your data rectified or erased or to restrict or to object to the processing as well as the right to data portability. If your personal data is processed under Article 6.1(a) of the GDPR (i.e. processed on the basis of the consent you have given to the processing), you may withdraw your consent at any time without any impact on the lawfulness of the processing carried out before your consent was withdrawn.
7) You may lodge a complaint in respect of the processing of the above data to the President of the Office for Personal Data Protection (PUODO).