Nothing is easier than writing an email – piece of cake. Not so sure? Many of us writes at least a dozen emails a day, but even if we only write one a month, it’s good to know the rules that are also used by the STATSCORE team.
9 RULES TO FOLLOW IN BUSINESS MAILING
- Read emails sent to your professional mailbox. „My mailbox is full” isn’t an argument (sic!)
- Reply to your emails within 24 hours. If you can’t do this, inform your recipient that you’ve received the message and you will respond as soon as you can. You will gain some time.
- Set the autoresponder for the times you will be absent.
- Take care with grammar and spelling when writing your e-mail – you will put your name under this message…
- Think about the aesthetics of the email, do not use ALL CAPS, give your email a clear title and use the same font throughout the whole email.
- Do not use passive voice, it’s always better to write “I prepared the report” than “The report has been prepared” – we are not robots 🙂
- Hi, Hello, Dear Sir, Mr Smith – make sure your greeting is correct 🙂
- Stay professional. Do not send funny videos, gifs, memes and links, because a professional mailbox shouldn’t be funny!
- It is also worth getting into the habit of applying the name of the recipient to the message last when writing an email – you can avoid unpleasant mistakes.
Apart from all these rules, it’s good to remember that there’s a person at the other end, who expects respect and doesn’t have time to read our elaborates (even we like elaborates).
And if you ever have the opportunity to meet a person face to face to clarify your matter – always choose this option!
Read more: good practices for the office savoir-vivre by STATSCORE HR!